behind the scenes: dancing at the cantor

Recently I've been on a bit of a creative streak, and finally got around to making a dance video with a friend. It was a lot of work (and a lot of trial and error), but I'm so happy to share the results with you.


1: Inspiration
Originally, my idea was to conduct an interview with someone, in Vogue's 73 Questions style. However, I ran into a road bump when I realized it would be very hard to showcase my own personal fashion (one of the points I wanted to hit), while interviewing someone else.

I focused on the idea of a fluid, fashion-orientated video, with a bit of theatricality, and it morphed into a dance video, inspire by Maddie and Mackenzie Ziegler's Glamour video - which I've watched too many times to count already, and highly recommend!

2: Brainstorm
I took my two videos, and meshed them together to create the wardrobe, soundtrack, and venue. I already had a dancer in mind, as we've been friends for ages, and have already filmed before, so that was a breeze.

I then raided other people's closets (I'm a bit of a safe dresser), and assembled a collection of 5 outfits that were my style, but elevated.


3: Shoot
The day of the shoot we ran into a couple of bumps. I was set on the idea of shooting in an art museum, which was technically not allowed (we didn't have a PR permit, as I didn't think they would let a ballerina prance around next to Thiebauds and Diebenkorns). A lot of the shots inside (the marble and the gallery spaces), were shot incognito, which limited us in terms of angle of view and doing retakes.

In the end though, I really like how it came out, and all the different places we shot at - though I still wish I had more from the marble staircase.


4: Post-processing
As someone who only has a very basic grasp of iMovie, all I did was try and match the movements with the music. Which, surprisingly, took a lot of work!

I also switched out the music last minute; I was planning on using "Comment Te Dire Adieu" by Fran├žoise Hardy, but chose "Cruel" by St. Vincent instead, because it has more of an editorial feel. Because the beat and tempo were the same, it worked better than expected.

I would have also shot with higher resolution, so it looked a bit more professional. And probably found one of those rigs so I wasn't so shaky!


I would so appreciate it if you could take a look and let me know what you think!

xx
Angelina

p.s. here's a piece called Dancing at the Louvre by Faith Ringgold (;

No comments